How to Take Care of Hair After Swimming
Swimming, especially in chlorinated pools, can be damaging to your hair, According to Columbia University Health Services, chlorine can reduce the amount of natural lubricants in your hair, causing the hair cuticle to break or crack. You may be at even greater risk for this type of hair damage if you already color your hair or use high-heat styling tools. But this should never stop you from enjoying a great day of swimming, especially considering how hot Uganda gets sometimes! There are several ways you can take care of your hair after swimming to prevent hair damage and dryness:
1. Wash your hair immediately after swimming with a conditioning shampoo. If you can’t wash your hair immediately, at least rinse your hair in the shower to remove the chlorine or salt water.
2. After you shampoo, squeeze excess water from your hair and apply a thick, moisturizing conditioner through your hair, concentrating on the ends. Some companies manufacture specific shampoos and conditioners for swimmers that are designed to remove chlorine, but regular hair products formulated for dry hair will work, too. Leave the conditioner in your hair for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Rinse the conditioner from your hair and squeeze excess water from your hair. Dry your hair gently with a towel, but do not rub your hair excessively.
4. Spray a leave-in conditioner through your hair if it’s especially dry or damaged. This step is optional but can provide additional protection for your hair after swimming.
5. Untangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Do not use a hairbrush or small-toothed comb on wet hair, especially after swimming, as it can encourage breakage.
6. Don’t forget to do a deep conditioning or hot oil treatment on your hair once a week if you swim often. This can help protect your hair from the ongoing effects of repeated exposure to chlorine or salt water. You can also benefit from a moisturizing conditioner enriched with honey, olive oil, or coconut oil depending on what your hair type prefers. SUQA hair technicians can recommend a hair regimen that is best for you if you swim often to minimise hair damage.
It is highly recommended to use a swim cap during swimming, to avoid the messy entangled hair and reduce the damaged caused by chlorinated pools and sun rays. :)
Price: RM 19.00
Size: Free Size / One Size Fit All Head
Price: RM 39.00
Swimming Cap especially designed for Islamic Ladies. It also provides full coverage of hair, ears and neck, offering modesty for Islamic Ladies.
Size: Free Size / One size fit all head
Available for online purchase @ swimwear.com.my